Located just 15 minutes south of San Francisco, the beautiful beach-front town of Pacifica is the perfect family getaway for Spring Break and long weekends.
As a small coastal destination with a myriad of diversions, Pacifica hops into the spring season with activities that appeal to the whole family. With everything from Easter-inspired festivities to outdoor activities. Here are a few of the favorite things:
Easter Egg Hunts:
- Friday, April 3 at 4:00 p.m.; Fairmont Park, 629 Parkview Circle, Pacifica
- Saturday, April 4 at 10:00 a.m.; Frontierland Park, Humboldt Court
- For more information, call 650-738-7381 or visit http//www.cityofpacifi ca.orgdepts./recdepartment/special events
Easter Sunrise Service Hike:
- Sunday, April 5; sunrise service hike up to Sweeny Ridge; for families, the hike begins at 6:00 a.m. from the upper end of Fassler Boulevard; service beings at sunrise, 6:50 a.m. from the summit at the top of Sweeney Ridge.
- Holy Cross Lutheran Church (1165 Seville Drive) will host an Easter breakfast after the hike from 7:00-9:30 a.m.
- For more information, visit http://www.mercurynews.com/pacifica/ci_17884684
- Enjoy one of the three GGNRA hiking trails: Mori Point; Sweeny Ridge; and Milagra Ridge. For more information, visit http://visitpacifica.com/index.php?page=14
- Get your outdoor on at San Pedro Valley Park: For more information, visit http://visitpacifica.com/index.php?page=12
- Take to the trails for mountain biking or take a leisurely ride along the coastline: http://visitpacifica.com/index.php?page=18
- Embark on a Segway tour along the ocean bluffs: For more information, visit http://siliconsegway.com/tours/
Earth Day & Eco Fest:
- The Pacifica Beach Coalition will host a creek and beach clean up with hundreds of volunteers on Saturday, April 18; then, the public is welcome to join in the Eco Fest at Linda Mar Beach from 11:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. where live music and interactive booths will be at the center of attention.
- For more information, visit http://pacificabeachcoalition.org/take-action/earth-day-of-action-eco-fest/
- Pacifica is home to some of Northern California’ best surfing beaches, including Linda Mar State Beach, Rockaway Beach and Sharp Park Beach.
- Additionally, there are many local outfits that offer lessons and rentals, including NorCal Surf Shop in Pedro Point. For more information, visit http://norcalsurfshop.com
- The hills of Pacifica are alive and due to the unique weather conditions this year, hikers and wild flower enthusiasts can enjoy early growth of many botanicals, including Footsteps-of-Spring, Baby Blue Eyes, Mission Bells and Milkmaids. The colors are vivid and a walk on the park’s trails during peak wildflower season, from late February through June, is the time to appreciate the profusion of wildflowers.
- For more information, visit http://www.nps.gov/goga/learn/nature/wildflowers.htm
Pacifica offers six lodging options in the budget to moderate price range and all are within walking distance to Pacifica’s beaches. Four are located at Rockaway Beach. The largest with 97 guest rooms is the Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel, a full-service hotel situated on Rockaway Beach with spacious accommodations, beautiful ocean views, a swimming pool and the upscale Moonraker restaurant. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pacifica provides very comfortable accommodations with ocean views and a complimentary hot Express Start Breakfast Bar, which has an outdoor deck overlooking beautiful Rockaway Beach Cove. Offering a dash of Victorian charm is the pet-friendly Pacifica Motor Inn and adjacent to Nick’s Restaurant is the Sea Breeze Motel, which is very convenient for those looking to dance the night away at Nick’s. Situated across from Linda Mar Beach is another full service hotel called the Pacifica Beach Hotel. Under new ownership, the hotel now includes several remodeled rooms, offering spectacular ocean view rooms, Jacuzzi tubs, indoor swimming pool and the new Peruvian Restaurant, Puerto 27. Further north near Sharp Park is Americas Best Value Inn, which is a short walk from the Pacifica Pier and the Sharp Park golf course.
America’s Best Value Inn Pacifica: (877) 784-6835/www.pacifica-bestvalueinn.com
Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel: (650) 355-6300/ www.bestwesternlighthouse.com
Holiday Inn Express & Suites: (650) 355-5000/www.hiexpresspacifica.com
Pacifica Beach Hotel: (650) 355-9999/www.pacificabeachhotel.com
Pacifica Motor Inn: (800) 522-3772/www.pacificamotorinn.com
Sea Breeze Motel at Rockaway Beach: (650) 359-3903
Travel Tip: For more information about Pacifica, log onto VisitPacifica.com.
Background: Pacifica. California
The natural beauty and unparalleled serenity of Pacifica, California has attracted travelers to this coastal gem for more than 100 years. Located just 15 minutes south of San Francisco, Pacifica feels worlds away but is convenient to some of the most vibrant, international communities on the West Coast. Easily accessible from Highway 1, Pacifica’s rich cultural heritage and bohemian personality make it a unique destination worth discovering.
Pacifica’s ethereal beauty is enhanced by its Mediterranean style weather. Refreshing temperatures range from 15-20 degrees cooler than the central coast, drawing visitors to Pacifica’s shoreline to ‘cool’ off during the hot summer months with its natural air-conditioning and attractive oceanfront accommodations. Likewise, Pacifica’s equally-appealing winter travel season provides a dramatic setting for those interested in off-season values and romantic departures.
Of the many diversions, Pacifica boasts some of the most breathtaking panoramic vistas atop a wide range of hiking trails and walking adventures along the expansive beaches dotting the destination’s shoreline. Additionally, the destination features a range of recreational options, including surfing, boating, scuba, fishing and paragliding, birding, cycling, golf, tennis, archery and horseback riding.
According to the National Marine Sanctuaries of the West Coast, Pacifica is known to be the fourth richest area in the world for marine mammal life.
For more information about the destination of Pacifica, California, please visit http://visitpacifica.com.