Pacifica is a robust beach-front community, just 10 minutes south of San Francisco. Recognized as one of California’s premier outdoor playgrounds, the beachfront community is home to a host of surfing events that attract locals and visitors alike. Here’s the line-up for 2014:
Saturday July 19th – The Kahuna Kupuna – The only surf event on the California Coast celebrating surfers 40 years of age and older. The event is sponsored by Pacifica’s Environmental Family and many other local organizations. For more information: www.pacificasenvironmentalfamily.org/kahunakupuna
Saturday, October 4th – The 24th Annual “Big Chill Out” Surf Festival/Contest – This “granddaddy” of all the Pacifica surf events is sponsored Pedro Point Surf Club, which is a Coalition of Surfing Clubs sanctioned event. Participants from as far south as San Diego and as far north as Cresent City to converge on Pacifica for one of the North Coast’s finest Longboard events. For more information: http://www.pedropointsurfclub.org
Saturday/Sunday, November 22/23 – The NorCal Surf Shop’s Annual “Uncle Dickies Surf Fest” attracts some of the greatest short board surfers from around the world. A number of Maverick’s finest competitors as well as a number of Association of Surfing Professional world rated surfers regularly compete in this event. For more information: http://www.norcalsurfshop.com
The charming town of Pacifica is a recreational playground and dream destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Featuring everything from world-class surfing, mountain biking and hiking to fishing, scuba diving and hang gliding, Pacifica is an ideal getaway for anyone interested in spending their leisure time on a fresh outdoor vacation. Interested in getting away? Here’s a Top Ten List of the most popular Pacifica attractions ~
- Biking:– Pacifica is known in the bike community for its network of trails that overlook the Pacific Ocean. Whether pedaling a road bike or mountain biking, Pacifica features everything from leisurely rides along the paved coastal trail or ascending the flanks of Montara Mountain, towering 2000 feet above Pacifica.
- Hiking: -There are over a dozen trails spanning many miles of ocean view treks for beginners to the most advanced. From the leisurely Mori Point coastal walk to the more advanced terrain of Sweeney Ridge, there is a hike for every level of fitness.
- Fishing: – Some of the best fishing in the United States can be found in the inshore waters off Pacifica. In addition to salmon, striped bass often frequent the surf along with kingfish, sharks and perch. Although rare, sturgeon, barracuda and bonito frequent the coastal waters of Pacifica.
- Crabbing: Pacifica Pier is the only place in the Bay Area where the public can crab for free. During the winter, Dungeness crab, which are not available elsewhere in the Bay Area, are abundant off the pier; in the spring, catch perch at Linda Mar Bay; in the fall, go rock fishing off Pedro Point.
- Scuba Diving: Linda Mar Beach is an intermediate-to-advanced beach entry scuba-dive site with a diverse aquatic life, such as seals, fish and rays. In May and June, halibut come into Linda Mar Bay, which attracts many divers spearfishing for this prize fish. At Pedro Point, two wrecks lie on the ocean’s bottom in approximately 30 to 40 feet of water.
- Golf: Sharp Park Golf Course is located just off the Pacific Coast Highway at the intersection of Sharp Park Road and Francisco Boulevard. The famous golf architect Alister Mackenzie designed the 18-hole course.
- Archery: San Francisco Archers is a non-profit organization that promotes archery at all levels of ability and age. The club is open to the public every day.
- Surfing: -Pacifica is home to some of Northern California’ best surfing beaches, including Linda Mar State Beach, Rockaway Beach and Sharp Park Beach.
- Segway Tours: The many well-maintained and level trails along Pacifica’s beautiful beaches lend themselves to Segway rides. Begin your ride at Rockaway Beach and the trail wends through a rock quarry to climb up 12 scenic switchbacks over Pacifica’s Strawberry Hill to Linda Mar Beach and beyond.
- Beaches: Pacifica features seven miles of spectacular Pacific Ocean beaches that are perfect for a whole range of recreation, including Linda Mar Beach,
Rockaway Beach, Sharp Park Beach and Mussel Rock Beach
At the end of action-filled days in Northern California’s coastal playground, visitors will want to enjoy one of Pacifica’s many popular restaurants before laying down for a quiet night’s sleep. Recommendations for dining and accommodations are listed below:
Moonraker: (650) 557-7025/www.moonrakerpacifica.com
Nick’s Seashore Restaurant: (650) 359-3903/www.nicksrestaurant.net
Puerto 27: (650) 733-7343/www.puerto27.com
America’s Best Value Inn Pacifica: (877) 784-6835/www.pacifica-bestvalueinn.com
Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel: (650) 355-6300/www.bestwesternlighthouse.com
Holiday Inn Express & Suites: (650) 355-5000/www.hiexpresspacifica.com
Pacifica Beach Hotel: (650) 355-9999/www.pacificabeachhotel.com
Pacifica Motor Inn: (800) 522-3772/www.pacificamotorinn.com
Sea Breeze Motel at Rockaway Beach: (650) 359-3903
Background: Pacifica. California
The natural beauty and unparalleled serenity of Pacifica, California has attracted travelers to this coastal gem for more than 100 years. Located just 15 minutes south of San Francisco, Pacifica feels worlds away but is convenient to some of the most vibrant, international communities on the West Coast. Easily accessible from Highway 1, Pacifica’ rich cultural heritage and bohemian personality make it a unique destination worth discovering.
Pacifica’s ethereal beauty is enhanced by its Mediterranean style weather. Refreshing temperatures range from 15-20 degrees cooler than the central coast, drawing visitors to Pacifica’s shoreline to ‘cool’ off during the hot summer months with its natural air-conditioning and attractive oceanfront accommodations. Likewise, Pacifica’s equally-appealing winter travel season provides a dramatic setting for those interested in off-season values and romantic departures.
Of the many diversions, Pacifica boasts some of the most breathtaking panoramic vistas atop a wide range of hiking trails and walking adventures along the expansive beaches dotting the destination’s shoreline. Additionally, the destination features a range of recreational options, including surfing, boating, scuba, fishing and paragliding, birding, cycling, golf, tennis, archery and horseback riding.
According to the National Marine Sanctuaries of the West Coast, Pacifica is known to be the fourth richest area in the world for marine mammal life.
For more information about the destination of Pacifica, California, please visit http://visitpacifica.com.